Congratulations to these SOsync artists for their placements in these films coming in December to Lifetime!
What is a Sync Rep?
A Sync Rep essentially acts as an agent for your songs to pitch them to people who need your music for film and TV. They have relationships with production houses, music supervisors, directors, and others that make music decisions. These decision-makers prefer working with reps because we can find the right music quickly and make their lives easier. If you have never licensed music before, read these basics and watch this video.
What can you expect working with SOSync as a Sync Rep?
Since SOsync was founded by an artist, we will do everything possible to secure a fair deal for each song placement. Also, we NEVER retitle songs, so you keep all your publishing royalties on the back-end. We take half of the sync and master use fees.
- We work hard to increase placement fees, but often we are competing with other artists who are willing to have their music in the film for lower rates or even free. We will never give music away - we have to set a minimum value for the art we create- and that art takes time, talent, and money to record.
Our catalog of songs is non-exclusive, which means you can pitch the songs elsewhere or have other licensing companies represent the songs. Note that we don't have a large catalog of songs that just 'sit there' waiting for opportunities- if we ask you for a song it will be pitched.
If your song is selected for the film, we will encourage you to promote the placement on your social media accounts, and again when the film is released at a minimum. It's a win for everyone, and placements are not easy to get, so please take the opportunity to promote this on your social accounts!
How can I work with SOsync?
We do not accept unsolicited material. If you are an artist only (not a label or music catalog) you can join our facebook community.
Schedule a 30 or 60 min coaching session to share some songs and ask any questions you have about sync. These can be purchased here (bottom of the page). Once purchased, we will reach out to schedule a time for the session.
What happens when I get a Pitch?
1. We will provide as much information as possible about the film and what type of songs they are seeking. Sometimes we just don't know a lot - i.e. it's a Hallmark "Christmas film" looking for original pop songs.
2. We will need an mp3 initially with vocals. SOSync uses DISCO if you want to make it easier on all of us, but if not you can send an mp3 via email, Dropbox, Box, or WeTransfer. If the filmmaker selects the song, we will need a hi-res file- both the vocal and track only versions. This is because sometimes songs are edited to fit a scene better. Only pitch songs that you have these two versions available for. If we ask you for these versions, it most likely means you have a placement! YAY!
3. Understand that when we request music, we have a tight deadline. Music is often the last part of the film, and there is always a rush to find the right song. We will be asking for fully recorded, ready-to-place songs that align to the movie needs. Please resist the urge to send songs that aren't relevant for each pitch, it's better not to send anything than something that does not fit. There is rarely time for writing something or getting something recorded in the next few days.
4. SOsync will let you know if you send songs we would like to pitch, and then send you a contract to fill out and return. This contract allows us to pitch your songs, secure placements, and then collect and distribute the initial sync and master fee. Songs will not be pitched without a signed contract (watch the video below for a quick idea to sign contracts without printing/scanning).
5. SOsync will let you know if your songs are selected, and we can both celebrate! If you don't hear from us, it means the song(s) were not selected for this film. That doesn't mean it's a bad song, just that it didn't fit what they are seeking for this film.